Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Networking and Security
The Information Technology/ Networking & security program is intended to provide quality education in the field of information technology based on internationally recognized standards for undergraduate programs; produce information technology professionals who can deploy efficiently IT technologies and implement IT solutions according to market and society needs, particularly in the UAE and Gulf region; and prepare individuals for lifelong learning and research. Graduates of the program can undertake a variety of job positions at both the managerial and technical levels. Job opportunities may include but not limited to: network administration and management; network security management; building and designing networks; IT resources management; IT project management; professional IT consultant; professional teacher or trainer; marketing of software and hardware; and pursuing postgraduate study and research.
Program MissionThe mission of the Information Technology program is to provide quality education in the field of information technology based on internationally recognized standards for undergraduate programs; produce information technology professionals who can deploy efficiently IT technologies and implement IT solutions according to market and society needs, particularly in the UAE and Gulf region; and prepare individuals for lifelong learning and research.
Program Educational Objectives
- Provide students with current core and specialized knowledge and skills of IT methodologies and practices that allow them to get entry-level positions in the IT job market or pursue postgraduate studies.
- Provide technical skills as well as general education knowledge that allow graduates of the program to provide IT solutions that satisfy market and societal needs.
- Offer broad and in-depth curriculum that prepare students to engage in life-long learning and professional development in diverse areas of IT.
- Expose students to the ethical and professional issues of working in an IT environment.
- Train students to develop effective communication skills that allow them to communicate effectively orally and in writing; and work as productive members of a team.
Student Learning OutcomesWhen students graduate, they will be able to: C1. Demonstrate general education knowledge in diverse fields. C2. Demonstrate an analytical and critical thinking ability for problem solving. C3. Demonstrate knowledge of fundamental concepts, principles and techniques of information technology. C4. Analyze, identify, and define the computing requirements that must be addressed to provide a solution to an IT problem. C5. Manage the information technology resources of an IT-based entity. C6. Demonstrate ethical and professional behavior in an information technology environment. C7. Communicate effectively both orally and in writing. C8. Function independently and as an effective member of a team. NS1. Design and implement basic network functionalities. NS2. Maintain and administer network systems. NS3. Analyze and evaluate network configurations and security needs. NS4. Provide solutions for network security needs.
Required Credit Hours: minimum 123 hours