Masdar Institute of Science and Technology
Master of Science in Microsystems Engineering
Microelectronic devices and circuits are the fundamental building blocks in the communication and information technologies that are enabling current and future transformations in energy, embedded systems, medical electronics and large scale systems. In order to drive research, development and commercialization of future systems, engineers are needed that understand both the underlying semiconductor device and fabrication technology, and the application of these devices in the design of integrated circuits and systems. The mission of the Microsystems Engineering (MIC) Program is to create a regional and global center of excellence for microelectronics that drives leading-edge research and education both into existing and new directions. These range from state-of-the-art integrated circuit fabrication and foundry technology to novel device concepts, providing new capabilities, to circuits and systems bringing new functionality and capability for critical industrial and global needs including energy and medical technologies. The Microsystems Engineering Program provides students with the fundamental knowledge, skills and training necessary for successful careers in industrial or academic roles that build upon and extend semiconductor device and integrated circuit technology. Graduates of the program will be well prepared to work collaboratively, conduct independent and multidisciplinary research, communicate effectively and recognize their role in solving global challenges through the development of new technologies and applications. Program Goals The MSc in Microsystems Engineering Program aims to produce post-graduate students with the disciplinary preparation that meets the following goals:
- An ability to identify and address current and future microelectronics and devices, photonics, and micromechanical (collectively, Microsystems) engineering problems related to data communication, health and medicine, and energy sources, production, conversion, efficiency, and control within a broader framework of sustainable development;
- An ability to apply a multi-disciplinary approach to conceive, plan, design, and implement solutions to microsystems engineering problems in the fields of data communication, health and medicine, and energy and sustainability;
- An understanding of the impact of solutions to data communication, health and medicine, and energy problems in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context; and
- An understanding of the value of technical and scientific scholarship, service to society, leadership and lifelong learning required to further their career aspirations.
- Successfully apply advanced concepts of fundamental sciences and engineering to identify, formulate and solve complex microsystems engineering problems;
- Successfully apply advanced concepts of Microsystems Engineering to the analysis, design and development of systems, components, or processes to meet desired needs of society professionally and ethically;
- Use an advanced approach to design and conduct experiments, and to analyze and interpret data;
- Assess contemporary issues and research opportunities/challenges related to energy and sustainability and engage in lifelong learning in the field and in the fundamentals of other related disciplines;
- Use advanced techniques, skills, and modern scientific and engineering software tools for professional practice; and
- Communicate effectively in written and oral form, both, individually and as a member of a multidisciplinary team.