United Arab Emirates University
Bachelor of Economics
The Bachelor of Economics offered by the department of Economics and Finance aims to provide students with a solid understanding of economic theories, applied economics and statistical techniques. Driven by the need for Economics graduates with a good understanding of the contemporary economic challenges that the UAE is facing, such as the transition from an oil-based economy towards a knowledge-based economy, the Economics curriculum has been updated and enhanced to provide the graduates with a competitive edge, allowing them to fit into the current dynamics of the job market. Topics covered in the new curriculum include among others: Public Economics, Applied Economics of the Middle East, Environmental and Energy Economics, and Labor and HR Economics. Overall, the program prepares students to effectively use the acquired skills, which are important in many businesses and government agencies and engages them in exciting analyses of real-world economic issues.
- Effective communication skills.
- Critical thinking skills to the analysis and solution of Economics problems .
- Positive contribution to teams, as members and leaders.
- Ethical and social awareness at the local and global level .
- In-depth knowledge in a specialist field of business.
Program Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Communicate effectively orally, using technologies to support the oral presentation of information where appropriate.
- Communicate effectively in writing, select and use information technology where appropriate.
- Apply appropriate technologies and techniques to the collection and analysis of information and derive appropriate conclusions for economic problems.
- Research, critically evaluate and interpret information to accurately identify economic problems and suggest solutions.
- Demonstrate autonomy and responsibility in their work.
- Apply teamwork skills and creativity in leadership and direction, appropriate to the context and level at which they are operating.
- Demonstrate ethical reasoning in relation to Economic issues.
- Develop an awareness of the civic responsibilities of the Economics discipline.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of key concepts across the breadth of Economic topics.
- Demonstrate a good knowledge of the functioning of economic markets and institutions from both a global and local perspective and be able to apply economic tools and concepts to real world problems.
- Utilize appropriate economic frameworks and theories to research and assess contemporary issues in the field and related allied fields where appropriate.
Required Credit Hours: minimum 120 hours