University of Sharjah
Master of Science in Biotechnology
Biotechnology is rapidly becoming central to our lives. The use of plants, animals and bacteria, enhanced by areas such as genetics and genomics, gives rise to new food, fibre and chemical production routes, and new strategies for environmental protection and stewardship, all central requirements as the global population increases over the coming decades. The Department of Applied Biology at the University of Sharjah offers a Master of Science in Biotechnology program that pre¬pares graduates to confidently confront current and future challenges in an exciting profession and equip them with advanced knowledge, practical skills, and knowledge discovery and application skills. The Department has well qualified faculty and lecturers with many years of academic and practical experience both regionally and internationally. The expertise of the academic staff spans the main disciplines of modern Biotechnology. In addition, the department has laboratory facilities that are furnished with state-of-the-art equipment and analytical in¬struments in support of advanced experimental work for teaching, research and community service. The laboratories are also staffed with qualified and well-trained laboratory supervisors and technicians. Program Objectives: The Biotechnology MSc program is oriented to achieve the following objectives:
- To provide graduates with advanced knowledge and applicable research principles and methods in biological sciences which include cellular biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, human genetics, cytogenetics, microbiology, and immunology.
- To provide the students with required biotechnology skills which enables them to operate effectively in a new learning or professional context such as higher education specialized industrial labs, pharmaceuticals and forensics.
- To enrich graduates with advanced skills of scientific writing, and oral presentation to analyze research findings and conclusions
- To train graduates to manage laboratory activities and engage in effective scientific work as individuals and as team members.
- To enable students to carry out a research project in a biotechnology discipline
- To improve students’ ability in assessing and critically evaluating ethical issues related to biotechnology implications