United Arab Emirates University
Bachelor of Arts in Geography Minor in Geoinformatics
The department of Geography and Urban Planning at UAEU offers a minor in Geo-informatics (GIS). The minor is open to all university students but is primarily geared to serve interested students from geography, geology, and engineering departments. Students should have the department approval to enroll. The minor completion requires students to take a total of 18 credit hours spread in 6 courses. Upon successful completion of the minor program the students should have gained knowledge and developed skills on how GIS and spatial data analysis can be used in various fields such as transportation, urban planning, petroleum, coastal management, environment, and GIS project management.
- Provide an introduction to the concepts, principles, and theories of GeographicInformation Systems (GIS).
- Expose students to the GIS geographic data sources and constraints.
- Develop practical hands-on experience using GIS software.
- Train students on conducting GIS projects.
Program Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of vector and raster models, database development, management techniques, and spatial analysis.
- Evaluate the quality and suitability of GIS data for diverse applications.
- Illustrate proficiency in the use of GIS software to build database, perform spatial analysis, prepare maps, reports, and charts for presentation of results.
- Apply GIS analysis techniques in various fields such as transportation, urban planning, petroleum, coastal management, environment, and GIS project management.
Required Credit Hours: minimum 18 hours