United Arab Emirates University
Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy
Philosophy trains students in critical thinking, ethical evaluation, logical analysis and conceptual creativity and develops high-level skills in reading, writing and verbal communication. The Philosophy Major is divided into three tracks: General, which comprises logic, history of philosophy, value theory, metaphysics and epistemology; Citizenship and Civil Society, which comprises political theory, ethics, concepts of civil society and the nature of citizenship; and Philosophy of Sustainable Management of Natural Resources, which critically examines environmental ethics and theory of nature.
- To enable students to understand the nature of rational argument.
- To equip students with the skills to construct relevant, appropriate, rational arguments.
- To provide students with the skills to apply knowledge acquired in the program to new situations
- To imbue students with a sense of ethics and equip them with the theoretical tools to understand and apply ethics.
- To equip students with the necessary skills to undertake independent research.
Program Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Analyze the logical meaning of speech or text.
- Construct rational and insightful argumentation that supports conclusions regarding concepts, theories and issues.
- Critically compare alternative perspectives on a given problem.
- Describe and resolve theoretical and practical philosophical problems and apply theory to specific cases.
- Apply ethical values, both individually and in collaboration with others.
- Use high levels of information literacy through independent research.
- Discuss the history of philosophy, through the knowledge of some of its major figures, themes and methodologies.
- Communicate effectively in both oral and written form to various audiences.
- Use preparedness for continued reflective practice and lifelong learning.
Required Credit Hours: minimum 120 hours