United Arab Emirates University
Bachelor of Arts in Translation Studies Minor in French Language
The Minor in French Language is an 18-credit hour program. It aims to equip students with basic written and oral skills in the French language in a range of contexts. Students will have the ability to analyze and translate short texts from English and Arabic into French and vice versa. By the end of the courses, students should have acquired the skills necessary to take an exam set by the Chamber of Commerce & Industry of Paris to gain the Diplôme de Français Professional B1.
- To enable students to listen to, speak, read and write French at beginner and advanced levels (A1 and A2 of the CECR).
- To familiarize students with the French culture and the francophone world.
Program Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of simple and familiar conversations.
- Produce simple spoken French based on familiar everyday topics.
- Answer simple and complex questions on familiar topics presented in different writing forms.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of French spelling and pronunciation.
- Use simple grammatical structures and vocabulary in context.
- Produce written texts about everyday situations using simple and complex sentences on familiar topics or topics of personal interest.
- Identify aspects of French culture and the francophone world (French speaking countries).